Wednesday 2 May 2012

Rubber Gammon!

I bought a 500g Gammon joint on offer for £4 from Morrison's last week. Meat is so expensive that I wanted to eeeeeek out as many meals as possible from this one joint of meat and here's how I did:

Sunday - Gammon was first boiled with some onions and carrots to make stock, after about 30 mins I took it out and covered it in Onion Chutney and popped it into the oven to finish off roasting. For Tea the 3 of us had Roast Gammon, Yorkshire Pudding, Roast Spuds, Carrots and Broccoli.

Monday -  I used the stock with some Arborio rice I got cheaply from the local church co-operative, cubed some of the remaining meat to add to it with some veg, and the 3 of us had a delicious Risotto.

Tuesday - Some more remaining meat was added to par boiled potatoes, onions, a tin of beans and a fried egg to enable us all to have a Hash meal (See my next post for some thoughts on its evolution in my Family!)

Wednesday - I have blanched some Broccoli and Cauliflower and popped it into a roasting dish, the last of the meat has been chopped added and cheese sauce poured over the top. Later I will throw it in the oven to bake it for another healthy(ish) and tasty meal for 3.

I don't think I have done bad at making it S-T-R-E-T-C-H and each meal has cost between £2 and £3 for the 3 of us.

1 comment:

  1. It is amazing how much you can stretch meat if you try. I have turned 250grams of mince into a large dish for 4 where the recipe asked for double.

    I glad to meet another person who eats Yorkshire pudding. I grew up with this and now make it for my husband and sons. It is one of our favourite meals - I quite often make the Toad in the Hole version!! It is such a tasty and filling meal that costs almost nothing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments, I love to read them :-)