Friday 4 May 2012

When my Dad was younger his Mum used to make him Corned Beef Hash, mashed potatoes, onions and obviously some corned beef. It was a cheap yet filling meal for the Family.

When I was younger my Mother needed cheap yet filling meals so she made us a Hash using Corned Beef or Bacon. Instead of mashing the potatoes she cubed them, par boiled them and then put them in the oven with some fried onions and the meat, if it was available she would crack an egg in the top.

Whilst my Child is young I need cheap yet filling meals so I make my Family a Hash using whatever meat is leftover or on offer. I cube my potatoes, par boil them and then put them in the oven with some fried onions, the meat, a tin of baked beans and an egg if available.

Notice a pattern?

I love how this meal has evolved through my Family, some things have changed yet it still remains a frugal and wholesome meal.

I wonder if Aidan or Pea will make it and what further adaptations they will make to it to ensure it fits the needs of their Family's?

7 comments:

  1. My husband (who is Welsh) also had that as a child and I have made it a few times when my sons were little. My husband still likes it. You can also add cabbage and make Bubble and Squeak - another cheap and easy meal.

    http://britishfood.about.com/od/easybritishrecipes/r/bubblesqueak.htm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Dad is Welsh! Hadn't thought of adding Cabbage to it but thats a really good idea as they all like Bubble and Squeak :-)

      Delete
  2. I remember corn beef hash as a child and really disliked it, although the rest of my family loved it. Even now my sisters still make it! It's lovely to see these meals being passed down the generations:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the original mash hash (oooh it rhymes!) was a bit of an acquired taste, not sure I would have fancied it, but I like the cubed potatoe version. x

      Delete
    2. The hash I have had, the potato often is quite crunchy which is really nice - a bit of frying I think does that - but perhaps not as healthy!

      Delete
  3. Lovely story! It's great the way the hash has continued to be served but been adapted through the generations. Maggie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see if it continues Maggie :-)

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comments, I love to read them :-)